Meadview, Lake Mead City, Dolan Springs and Mohave County Resources and Discussion
A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Legal options?
Today they come for my neighbor -- tomorrow they'll come for YOU and ME!
Christine
Meadview, Mohave County
Admin
Forum Posts: 275
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 22, 2018 - 10:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Since new construction came to an almost complete stop since the County required building inspections as of 1/1/2008, almost everybody who owns a real house (as opposed to a mobile home) is at risk of having the County demand compliance with current codes.

Since our supervisor Jean Bishop took no interest in this matter, I see two options:

• If my neighbor fails to comply with the County's demand(s), I'm hoping that they will have to go through the courts before the County demolishes his home.  At that point he would need an attorney to represent him. 

After MONTHS of inspections, my neighbor tearing down outbuildings and the County even telling him that he was good to go (only to later condemn the house) my neighbor has absolutely NO idea what the County wants him to do.

AFTER I got involved, posted at the blog and contacted supervisor Jean Bishop, they finally decided to have Tim Walsh come out to tell my neighbor what he needs to do.  At this point my neighbor is too stressed, so it won't happen until late September.
  • A class action on behalf of all owners of existing homes built pre 2008 without building inspections.  We would ask for a DECLARATORY JUDGEMENT stating that the County can not demand code compliance and must leave us alone.

Either way, this type of litigation will be very expensive as I'm not aware of a competent attorney in Mohave County and we would have to look in the Phoenix metro area.

I appreciate any LEGAL info regarding this issue, especially a similar case.  

I've looked on the web a bit, but have not found any case similar to this situation, with a county requiring code compliance AFTER issuing permits that do not require inspections or code compliance.